Without the checkpoints it would not be possible to run the ride. Manning a checkpoint can be great fun and is easy to do, especially if you have children and enjoy camping.
- Make sure that there is a supply of water for the horses (you will be supplied by the water cart) and put out carrots and hay for the horses as well as water (and sometimes lollies) for the riders.
- Tick off each rider on a check sheet as they come into your checkpoint and write the time of their entry onto the sheet.
- Call rider arrival times through to base camp communications.
- Radio for a rescue float (if required)
- Radio for anything else required from base camp (more water for horses or riders, food for you, etc.)
You will be supplied with all the basic requirements for the checkpoint, including radio (to be attached to your car battery), food and water for the riders and horses, a first aid kit and all the check off sheets. Sometimes there is fierce competition between the checkpoints to see who can run the 'best' checkpoint, providing all sorts of services to the riders and their horses, including some strapping facilities, yummies, etc. The sky is the limit and our riders do love to be spoilt!
Most of the time, and depending on the location, you will be able to have a fire and make a cosy camp out of it. In some instances we will rotate or relieve checkpoints, so even if you can only do a certain amount of time, then please don't hesitate in putting your name forward.